Tuesday, January 12, 2010

29 Gifts Challenge - Day 5

(Again, you can read about the 29 Gifts challenge at www.29gifts.org)

One of the "rules" of the challenge is that if you miss a day of giving, you should start over, which is why I am only on day 5. I'm sure on the day that I missed that I gave something, but it wasn't good enough for me to remember, so I began the challenge again. I have to say that in the short time that I have taken on this challenge, I have felt a shift in attitude. Not only am I focusing on the positive things that I am doing for people, but I am more aware of the things that people are doing for me, as well as taking the time to do something for myself everyday.

One of the main things that I have learned so far is that in order to be considered a gift, I do not have to do anything extraordinary. A quote from the book says, "Grand gestures aren't necessary." I found myself trying to come up with "grand gestures" within the first few days, but then read that quote in the book and it changed my thinking. I also believed, within the first few days, that I could "map" out what my 29 gifts would be. However, I quickly came to realize that the gifts that are given in the moment are more rewarding, both for myself and the recipient.

I am excited by the possibilities that have come about from this 29 Gift challenge and I hope that I can get, at least, one person to take part as well.

No comments: