Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Soon to be mommy of 2 cats and....a dog?!?!

Ever since we got our 1st cat, Ollie, two and a half years ago, Brian has been talking about getting a dog. I kept saying that I wasn't ready...that I wanted to wait for a bigger house...blah blah. Six months after Ollie, we got our 2nd cat, Sophie. She is every bit a "scaredy cat" that you can get. The talk about getting a dog was brought up every now and then and I would still say, "I'm not ready"..."Our house is too small". Probably about a month ago, the topic was put on the table again and this time, it never really left. I found myself browsing PetFinder.com with Brian and I even did searching on my own at the local shelters. This time, I told him, "We aren't getting one unless it will get along with the cats and will be good with kids", and I said that I would research it for a bit since it was a big decision.

Fast forward to last Friday, the 3rd. I was browsing Craigslist in our area and came across a listing that was posted by a non-profit organization in Rhode Island called "Help Save One". When I clicked on their website and started browsing, I got tears in my eyes. The mission of this 2 women company is to save dogs/puppies/cats/kittens from high kill shelters in the south. Because people in the south do not have the money to spay/neuter their animals, there are an abundance of gassing shelters. (*tear). So, while scrolling through, I saw a listing for some lab puppies that were found in the woods in North Carolina. These little guys and girls were left without a mom to basically die in the woods. What is wrong with people?! How can you bring these puppies in the woods, leave them there, and expect that they will fend for themselves?! Besides upsetting me, it really pisses me off. These animals are born because their owners don't bother getting the adult animals fixed. And then they just dump them somewhere because they can't afford them. My opinion is that if you can't afford the animal, then you shouldn't have one to begin with. They're not toys or objects, they actually have feelings and all they ever want it to be loved. My cats are always waiting for me when I get home...they are always excited to see me. They roll around, wanting belly rubs and to be picked up and hugged. They never talk back to me...never give me attitude...never create drama. For anyone that has ever said, "It's just a cat" or "It's just a dog"...then you have never experienced what life is like with one.

All right...now that I went off my tangent...I'll focus a little more :O) So, our little 8 week old puppy is supposed to be arriving today. We came up with the name Riley, which was our favorite and we were 99% sure that was going to be his name. But then yesterday, I thought of Charlie (for Charlie and The Chocolate Factory) so that's my vote. Of course, Brian still likes Riley best, so maybe we will have to name him Chriley! We are planning on crate training him, so we set up his crate the other night...all cozy with towels and a pillow. Ollie thought it looked cozy too because that is where we have been finding him lately! I am anticipating that the cats will have a little bit of a tough time transitioning with a dog in the house. I know it will be hard for me because Ollie and Sophie have been my little babies for 2 years and for me to have to focus my attention on another one will be hard. But my hope is that the transition is smooth and that when we make it out on the other side, that Ollie, Sophie, and Riley/Charlie will all be cozy in the crate together :)

Today my life is about to change. I am nervous, but excited. Whenever you think about adopting an animal, please check out www.helpsaveone.org you will be so glad you did :)

1 comment:

Holly said...

Congrats on your addition. I hear puppies are everybit as hard as kids so buckle in for a wild ride! :)