Thursday, January 15, 2009

Kids are great!

I like spending time with my little friends, Alex and Sal. Alex is 7 (going on 25!) and Sal is 4. I have known the family since Alex was born and have babysat for them since then. It's nice to be able to text message their mom and ask her if she needs a babysitter because I could use the extra money and she will text me back with multiple dates to choose from (I usually say yes to all of them!).
Spending time with the kids allows me to be a kid for the few hours that I am with them. They teach me as much stuff as I think I teach them and it reminds me just how great kids can be.
Alex was the flowergirl in my wedding in August and she still continues to talk about it. She even wrote a paper about it for school. I can see her being the girl at school that everyone wants to be friends with.
Sal is your typical little boy. He can be cuddly and cute and then the next second he will give you attitude and proclaim, "You're not my friend anymore!" or "I'm telling on you!" and then snap out of it in another second when he wants you to read him a bedtime story. I just know that Sal will be the boy that every girl likes because he will have a "bad" way about him :)
Lately, whenever I see Alex, she wants to know if I will be having a baby anytime soon. I tell her that she might not want me to anytime in the near future because that will mean I won't be able to see her and Sal as much. Her solution is for me to bring the baby along and she will help me take care of him/her. How funny to think of Alex babysitting my kid after I have watched her her whole life! I can't help but wonder what my kid(s) will be like at Alex's age. She knows so much, that's why I say she is going on 25.
So, I use the term "babysitting" with Alex and Sal loosely. I consider myself very lucky to get paid to spend time with 2 great kids. They make me laugh and allow me to forget anything bad that is going on in my own little world for the short time that I am with them. Last night, we spent time playing the Wii that they got for Christmas. Mario Cart was their game of choice and because I have not played Wii at all, they beat me everytime! Sal exclaimed, "Aren't I just so awesome?!" and Alex has decided that playing Mario Cart is great for driving lessons! (Sure, if you consider weaving a baby Mario in his stroller in and out of other opponents on a rainbow road, while trying not to fall off the side a driving lesson, then it's a great way to learn how to drive!)
So, in closing, if I am lucky enough to be a mommy one day, I hope to have kids like Alex and Sal. And hey, if Alex is willing to help me take care of him/her, that would be just great!

No comments: